Leadership Giving Officer
Department: Development, FTE
Reports to: Development Director
Free Speech TV (FSTV) is a national, nonprofit, independent news network whose mission is to
empower an informed and active citizenry to build a more just, equitable world. Decidedly
mission-driven and goal-oriented, FSTV’s staff, board, volunteers and donors are passionate
and committed to advancing progressive social change. These are exciting and challenging
times for independent media. Operating in its 22nd year, Free Speech TV is fiercely committed to
reporting news ignored or even censored by commercial networks. Our array of programs
provides viewers with unfiltered news and analysis, amplifies underrepresented voices, and
promotes those working on the front lines of social, economic and environmental justice.
Based in Denver, Free Speech TV (FSTV) is seeking an enthusiastic fundraiser who is a detail-
oriented, strategic thinker to join our team as a Leadership Giving Officer.
The Leadership Giving Officer will work closely with the Development Director, Executive
Director, Chief of Staff and General Manager, to develop, implement and execute a major gift
strategy for the organization. Through “heart-centered giving”, the LGO will cultivate
relationships, research and qualify new prospects, and manage a portfolio of donors and
prospects to maximize financial support. Additionally, the LGO will explore and maximize giving
opportunities such as planned giving, events or special campaigns.
Cultivation and Stewardship
● Develop a comprehensive cultivation and solicitation strategy for major giving that is
sustainable and scalable.
● Manage a portfolio of prospective major donors (individuals giving $10,000 or more
within one fiscal year), and solicit (directly or through senior team) them for major gifts
● Qualify prospective donors to ensure a healthy “pipeline” of major donors.
● Customize cultivation strategy for each donor/prospect in the portfolio and execute that
strategy so that individual donors are retained and upgraded.
● Create highly personalized proposals that align with donor interests and programmatic
priorities. Work with the appropriate staff to secure various campaign or initiative
information and use this information to develop materials directed at individual
● Track portfolio activity and progress at the lead, prospect and qualified prospect levels.
Also create a database of connectors to high net worth individuals.
● Create reports as required by management that accurately reflect portfolio activity and
● Maintain current working knowledge of national and local politics and progressive issues
as they occur.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Set appointments for Development Director, Executive Director, Chief of Staff, General
Manager, and FSTV Board Members with major gift donors or prospects.
● Track conversations, activity and progress. Create reports as required by management that accurately reflect portfolio activity and performance.
● Provide support to directors in preparation for solicitation or stewardship opportunities, including appropriate, concise briefing materials in advance of meetings with donors and prospects.
● Prepare comprehensive proposals of major gift solicitations.
● Minimum of five years of experience in nonprofit fundraising, with progressive
responsibility and a proven track record of soliciting, closing, and stewarding major gifts of $1,000 or more. Experience soliciting planned gifts is also preferred.
● Experience with donor database management and systems to track campaigns and
ensure complete, secure and private donor and campaign records.
● Proficiency with office technology and information systems (including Word, Excel,
Outlook, PowerPoint) and a donor database (such as Salesforce, etc.)
● Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and respectfully on the phone, via
email/text and in person with donors, board members, volunteers, staff, and the public.
● Persuasiveness and perseverance in attaining goals.
● Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects
simultaneously and to meet deadlines. Ability to develop long-term plans, set objectives,
and track progress towards achieving objectives. Familiarity with moves management
● Ability to work independently and to exercise good judgment in stressful circumstances.
Flexibility and a willingness to take on new tasks as the responsibilities of the position
● Personal initiative and a sense of humor. Friendly, outgoing, and collaborative approach,
and a strong team-oriented style.
● Must be available for travel in Colorado as well as out-of-state travel.
● Ability to work occasionally beyond the traditional workday and work week.
● Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of FSTV’s mission and principles.
● Familiarity with the progressive philanthropic community.
● Geographic flexibility is possible, but Denver, CO location is preferred.
FSTV offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and other benefits.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and professional references to [email protected]
Open until filled.
Free Speech TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering a diverse workplace.
Salary Range: $70-80K per year