Digital Managing Editor
Free Speech TV
Digital Managing Editor
Department: Digital, FTE
Reports to: General Manager
Position Overview: Free Speech TV (www.freespeech.org) is a national, nonprofit, independent news network whose mission is to empower an informed and active citizenry to build a more equitable world. Our programs amplify the voices not heard on the corporate networks and lift up the efforts of everyday people working on the front lines of social, economic, environmental and racial justice. We believe a just, kind and sustainable world will be built by people inspired by diverse voices, surprising conversations and fearless truth-telling. We know that work is urgent today. Based in Denver, CO, FSTV is now operating in its 22nd year.
Free Speech TV is seeking an experienced digital media warrior to amplify the voices on the front lines of progressive social change. The ideal candidate is a motivated digital change agent committed to creating more efficient workflows internally and greater impact externally. The Digital Managing Editor (DME) will inherit a new website that is currently in beta test, several apps in development, and a two-person team of content producers who will report to the DME.
Responsibilities: The Digital Managing Editor’s specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and implementing a digital content strategy that fulfills the mission and vision of FSTV;
- Working with the leadership team to develop the editorial strategy, priorities and calendar for the organization;
- Maintaining and improving the network’s website, social media presence and digital distribution platforms;
- Developing and executing a web content management roadmap with guidelines to ensure consistent, impactful and relevant creation, curation and maintenance of content;
- Creating strategies to drive digital audience growth, engagement and the discussion of social justice issues;
- Developing and implementing digital fundraising strategies in partnership with the Development team;
- Monitoring analytics and applying insights to improve our product and to increase engagement;
- Incorporating the voices of movement builders, visitors/viewers, hosts and partner organizations into an optimal content plan;
- Working with other departments to maintain and manage their correlating segment of the website; and
- Managing a digital production team’s execution of daily and longer-term digital content plans.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have:
- Passion for social justice issues and a commitment to FSTV’s mission and vision;
- Three or more years of digital (or equivalent) media experience. Five years or more preferred;
- Bachelor degree in journalism, media, marketing or a relevant field;
- Effective and inspiring writing skills, strong news judgment and excellent editing ability;
- Familiarity with email, newsletter and social media tactics to attract and engage stakeholders;
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills to work effectively across groups;
- Exceptional organizational and time-management skills;
- Keen attention to detail;
- Solid analytical and quantitative skills, as well as a strong working knowledge of digital analytics tools including Google Analytics;
- Working knowledge of WordPress preferred;
- Familiarity with progressive organizations and media; and
- Ability to work off hours and weekends as required by special events.
Compensation: Salary based on experience, in the range of $55K-60K. Benefits include health, dental, vision and a generous holiday/vacation package.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume and professional references to [email protected]. This position will remain open until filled.
Free Speech TV is an Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to fostering a diverse workplace.